Sunday, August 23, 2009

Back to School!

One more week and the kids start a new school year. We spent part of the morning putting name labels on pencils and notebooks. There is something exciting about new school supplies. They beckon with the promise of new possibilities and unwritten futures.


At the end of each school year when we are reviewing Connor's progress, I am always amazed at his growth. I am trying to remember that now, as I feel the jitters deep in my belly as the first day approaches. It's not that I am nervous about Connor's teacher, aide, or school - they are all fantastic! I'm more concerned that he is another year older, a seven year old going into second grade - the world around us expects more from our kids with each year.


I can't help but wonder how he will do in school this year. I want concrete answers, but I know that is impossible. It's hard for even me, who knows him better than anyone on this planet, to know what he will do the next moment - so I know the impossibility of predicting the upcoming year.


I am trying to relax and enjoy the promise of new possibilities and unwritten futures. But, dang, it is hard.

No comments: