Thursday, November 26, 2009

A New Thanksgiving Perspective

I took a look at my post from last Thanksgiving and I remember keenly how I felt that day. Life was so overwhelming for me that I couldn't even see the good in my life. This year I feel totally different.

I think a few things have contributed to my improved state of mind. First, I have come to  find some peace and acceptance regarding autism and my family. A lot of my anger has subsided, and this has allowed me to see my world much more positively. Second, I have been quite ill these last 6 weeks with complications from surgery. I couldn't even get up without my husband's help. I went from bed to bathroom to couch to bed - that's it. I couldn't interact with my kids or do the things I normally do with them. The last few days I have begun walking (albeit slowly and with a limp) without my crutches and I feel a sense of joy with each step.


All those sayings we've heard such as "it's always darkest before the dawn" or "you never appreciate what you have until you lose it" apply to me. Our family has made it through the darkest stage of grief and have found the dawn to be beautiful. I now appreciate the simple activities of life that I missed so much while sick and I also understand that life goes on even when I am on the sidelines.


On this Thanksgiving morning gratitude fills my heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your new found perspective was both touching and enlightening! Don't stop sharing.