Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Yes, I like to talk, alot

Yep, that's me having a conversation with someone in line to the bathroom, at the doctor's office or anywhere I find another person. I love meeting new people and enjoy listening to their stories. I learn so much and it helps me to see life from a new perspective.


Yesterday I was a bit nervous talking. My children's psychiatrist asked me to speak to about 100 of her medical students about my experiences with autism. As I stood at the bottom of this huge lecture hall, my nervousness went away. I was talking about my kids, and that is always fun for me.


I felt honored and hopeful to be asked to speak to a new generation of doctors. The medical profession is woefully uneducated about our kids and their unique needs. Wouldn't it be great if every teaching hospital had parents share a bit of their lives?

No comments: